View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
lksdolls
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims822257
In response to how long I have had Murphy - we have had him now for 6 weeks. I have tried hard puppy food and he just will not eat it. Like i said we are currently feeding him boiled chicken and rice and he seems to just pick at it. From every thing every one else has said I thought he would be diving into that since it is chicken but he just picks at it. He is not acting lethargic but i just want to make sure he is getting enough to eat and also likes what he is eatting. This morning i put him in his X-Pen while i got ready for work and he ate about 1/4 of the food so i left it there while i was home and when it was time to leave i took it up. I am wondering if this will teach him to eat it while it is there or it will be gone? I am still also feeding him lunch so he gets 3 meals a day of this. How long should he be eatting this much, do you guys feed your yorkies this much or just twice a day? Thanks for the response.
My guess is that he's just not a big eater. If he only ate a fourth of it, maybe you're expecting him to eat too much. Like I said, I keep dry food in their dish all the time. Sometimes they pick at it, other times they eat like crazy, but I have yet to have mine over-eat, because they eat when THEY are hungry, not when I think they should eat. They know when they are full. Maybe you're giving him too much at each eating time. Try some meat baby food and slowly mix in some dry food with it. I'd give him what you have been but not as much, let him eat until he's done, then take it away and replace it with dry food and leave it there for him all the time. I'll bet you find him sneaking a couple of pieces now and then. Just because we're supposed to eat 3 meals a day, doesn't mean yorkies little tummies can handle that, they may need to eat less but much more often.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!