View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #10
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILOTthePuppy View Post
Thank you!

We’re happy he’s back, but it seems his recovery will be slow.

I brought him home and he was super drowsy, wouldn’t really walk around. They gave him some anti anxiety medicine, I suspect it’s partly that. All he wants to do right now is currently sleep. He’s shaking a lot too when not sleeping. Luckily no coughing just a little noise breathing.

His severe luxating patellas seems giving him issues. I’m sure he’s in pain and he’s really holding his back knees together. I tried to get a little Galliprant into his system but he didn’t want to take his little pill pocket.

The ER gave us some liquid buprenex for pain, and he’s not really eating yet so I can’t give him his compounded hydrocodone.

I’m hoping the buprenex will help him be out of pain while he mends and I can get him back on another painkiller like hydrocodone or lomotil.

As far as eating, I got him to eat a little pumpkin purée and a tiny bit of cod fish but he really had no interest. They fed him the low fat G/I prescription dog food at the hospital but I don’t have that currently and feed him a home cooked diet since he’s a calcium oxalate stone former.

Any tips or thoughts?
Poor guy. Honestly, my guess is the symptoms he is having is due more to the medication. What did they give him for anxiety? The bupranex is an opiate and if you are giving him that, it will definitely make him shaky and drowsy and on top of an anti anxiety med could really zonk him out. I would keep shirts on him if you can and I have also used heating pads on low but for short periods. Be careful not to burn him. I actually made some little packets that I heat in the microwave so I can feel the warmth and then put it under blankets....

I had a list of foods for calcium oxylates ... will see if I can find it. A vet nutritionist had given it to me. In the meantime, I would worry less about that because you want him to eat and heal. I have had success with chicken baby food.....the little jars...

The lomotil is to be used daily for the breathing. I would definitely try to get that in him. I am assuming he is probably taking 1/2 of a tiny tab?? If so, I am sure you can hide it in a bit of cheese or food.

Luxating patellas really do not hurt. That would be extremely rare! I would just focus on the other stuff!!

I will look for that list and I am sending you a message......
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!