View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 06:13 AM   #6
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILOTthePuppy View Post
Hi ladyjane, as promised here is the update for Pilot.

He went into surgery at 9 AM this morning. Once he was under, it was found that he has advanced periodontal disease in all remaining teeth, 15 in total. There was also an oral mass found in his mouth. They performed the full mouth extraction and mass removal in about 2 hours which was uneventful.

However, once they went to remove the breathing tube, problems arose pretty quickly, which I figured may happen based on his underlying medical conditions. He quickly went into respiratory distress, so they reinserted the breathing tube and gave him a steroid shot (which might have given him pancreatitis in the past).

It was then recommended we move him over to ICU and put him on IV drip with butorphanol and oxygen through his nasal passages and then reattempt to remove the breathing tube after waiting several hours.

The second attempt to remove the breathing tube was successful, and he is now breathing on his own, still a bit noisy but he's breathing on his own least.

He will remain in ICU for the remaining of the night.

Had I not gone through the surgery, the dentist said he was at very high risk of fracturing his jaw and tooth abscess in the near future. The oral mass would have also not have been found and might of grown to block his airway.

At this point, I think he still has an uphill battle but at least he's breathing on his own now.
Just seeing this. I hope little Pilot is doing better this morning. Shooting prayers up now.

Thank you for updating.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!