View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #4
flybear
Yorkie Yakker

Biting is very normal puppy behavior- I was a puppy foster for almost two decades and can tell you that some puppies are worse than others but all go through this biting stage ... What I do is ... I always have a chew toy on me ... I spray everything that I do not want chewed in my house with Bitter apple spray ... especially furniture, cables and shoes ... I have TONS of chew toys from nylabones to stuffing free crinkle toys to rope toys and every imaginable variety ... every puppy has different preferences ... when puppy approaches me all hyper , ready to chew my hand I give my " no command " which sounds like eh eh ... and replace my hand with a chew toy, when puppy licks me I praise and reward. I NEVER rough house with puppies and I do not play tease with my hands.A puppy bites me - playtime and all attention is gone ... I give the displeasure command and turn away ignoring puppy ... Play biting is a phase and WILL stop - with some dogs it takes only weeks ( unusual) and with others it can last well into their second year ... When I am dealing with a hyper puppy ... I train ... sit ( treat), down ( treat) , come ( treat), play fetch ... help them replace the behavior of biting with ... doing something you like ...
flybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!