View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
AlyV
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
This post was from 2019. You might want to start your own thread so it is less confusing.

In the meantime, I am not a vet, but I just want to say that it would be unusual for a 5 year old to suddenly have neurological symptoms from a liver shunt. It is not unusual for a 5 year old to have a shunt, but usually they don't have those symptoms. I don't want to scare you, but it is worth asking your vet about GME ... or other types of encephalitis. Those neurological disorders usually show up in yorkies around 3 - 5 years of age. Whatever is going on, I do hope it is treatable. I hope you come back and keep us updated.
I realize it is unusual. The vet says it is not impossible. It is just that his symptoms are so spot on with the liver shunt symptoms. He will have the bile test tomorrow. The vet did mention encephalitis. If the liver test is negative Rebel will start antibiotics and steroids. I’m trying to stay positive but he seems to be getting worse. It’s like he goes into a trance, he doesn’t respond to stimuli. I really hopes he gets better. He is so sweet. I will keep you posted.
AlyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!