View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyV View Post
I hope you see this. I want to hear back from you about Bowie. We lost our first Yorkie Lily at the age of 16 in June 2019. She was a tiny healthy 12 week old rescue who never grew past 4 pounds. When she died I was beyond devastated.

A month ago we adopted a 5 year old male Yorkie. He’d been surrendered by a breeder who had been using him as a stud. Apparently, he lived in a pen and had little social interaction. Naturally, we expected him to take time to adjust so I can’t even tell when the symptoms started or if they were there from the start.

Once he got comfortable walking around the apartment I noticed how odd he was. He lifts his front paws like a horse. He paces back and forth slowly. He stops and rests his head on the wall and often just looks out of it. He wobbles around like he is drunk.

The vet said it’s ataxia possibly from a liver shunt. I have scheduled the tests but I am so miserable at the thought of losing another dog.

Please let me know about Bowie. Is he okay? Are you okay?
This post was from 2019. You might want to start your own thread so it is less confusing.

In the meantime, I am not a vet, but I just want to say that it would be unusual for a 5 year old to suddenly have neurological symptoms from a liver shunt. It is not unusual for a 5 year old to have a shunt, but usually they don't have those symptoms. I don't want to scare you, but it is worth asking your vet about GME ... or other types of encephalitis. Those neurological disorders usually show up in yorkies around 3 - 5 years of age. Whatever is going on, I do hope it is treatable. I hope you come back and keep us updated.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!