View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuff35 View Post
Thanks for your feedback!

I have used the search features on liver shunt and I guess what I was looking for was more recent updates and whether all test had to be done locally (e.g., scintigraphy) before taking Titus to see Dr. Tobias at U of T.

Due to the pandemic the earliest I can get an appt with the Internist at Oradell Animal Hospital is in October. Therefore, I was wondering if I can get all the additional testing done at U of T and if surgery is indeed needed, have the surgery scheduled within a few days. I live in NJ and will need to fly out to Tennessee, and will need to figure out the logistics. Therefore, looking for input from someone who has gone through this before.
Dr. Tobias is a leading expert and researcher; but, that does not mean she is the only one to do a liver shunt repair. Honestly, the surgery is not complicated. A board certified soft tissue surgeon is who you would want; although I see your vet referred to an internist. The only thing with that is that they tend to do more testing which ends up being more costly. Surgeons often cut to the chase so to speak... but, of course, you do want a definitive diagnosis.

I have personal experience with liver shunt repair and our rescue has done many....none of them were done at UT. Honestly, I am not sure Dr. Tobias would be the one doing the surgery at UT.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!