View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
sarahkw
Yorkie Talker

Default Allergy Shots + Food Behavior

My Yorkie Knox is turning 9 tomorrow (July 2!). He's had a terrible allergies over the last year or so. I thought moving from North Carolina to Los Angeles would help him, but no dice. He's gotten a couple of cytopoint shots now and they do wonders for him within 2 days. He last got one 6 weeks ago come this Monday and has started to itch again over the last few days, lick his paws, pace more... Looks like it's time. I'm hoping we can get him to go longer than 5-6 weeks, but there's definitely something in the air out here - I've been sneezing all week myself.

Here's the odd thing.

He goes through phases where he just doesn't want *his* food. People food? Sign him up. His treats? There for it. But he'll just sort of passively ignore his own food. He's been vetted a couple of times now for it and they all say the same thing: He's in great health. He eats, plays, poops, all normal. Just doesn't want his food. Unless I sit down and hold the bowl for him right before bed.

Any thought that this could be connected to his allergies? He was doing this before the last Cytopoint - part of why I took him in - and within a couple days, he was no longer itching AND eating his food with gusto.

The last couple of days since the itching returned, we're back to coaxing him to eat. Two vets have now said its behavioral - he's done this with the food on and off for the better part of a year, every 6 weeks or so like clockwork - and I could be reaching, but thought I'd post and see if anyone has any thoughts on if it could be allergy-induced.
sarahkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!