View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Sorry I didn't see this sooner but not sure I could do a lot other than tell you that internal med is definitely the way to go. I see you have an appointment today....I hope you come away with answers. As to the prednisone, they won't give that if they are thinking biopsies are in order. You do not have to agree to a scope/biopsies, but yes, it will give them a diagnosis so they can have a solid treatment plan. I am sure if they think it is too risky, they will not do it. I don't think they put them under totally for a scope as I have had them done as an outpatient. Keep in mind that they can treat with prednisone but if they are guessing and she has IBD she may need a diet with novel protein. It is always better to know what you are dealing with. Just ask a lot of questions!

Diet....I hope they advise you to either go with an RX food (something like Royal Canin gastrointestinal low fat) or home cooking but only under the guidance of a veterinary nutritionist. There actually is a web site run by a vet nutritionist that will give you a free diet but you do have to purchase the necessary supplements. www.balanceit.com
But, again, if she has IBD the RC may not be the right diet.

I home cooked for 6 years for my lymphangectasia/ibd pup, Cookie. My Kiche now has lymphangectasia and he is on the RC food mentioned above. His albumin stays at 2.2 on prednisone....since it has been that way for one year and his weight is stable, they consider him stable. I am sharing this to say that RX food is good.
Just for reference: my Cookie was 0.9 when diagnosed...so while 2.2 is indeed low, it isn't as scary (at least not to me...but just a lay person)

Not sure why the lasix ... the fluid is probably from the protein loss but of course I am just guessing. The cough may be from another reason. I think you will have a better idea today after seeing IMED.

I hope all goes well today. I am sending you a message now......

Last edited by ladyjane; 04-21-2021 at 05:33 AM.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!