View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
Namor
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Strange Behaviors in Older Yorkie

This is about my daughter's yorkie Maddie. She's 13, weighs about 3.8 lbs and over the the last two years she has been demonstrating increasingly strange behaviors. She was a good traveller now she screams when she rides in the car even if she is held. She used to be very happy in her carrier bag but no longer. I have always done her grooming but now she is uncontrollable on the table. It takes two of us to hold her while I trim her hair down. For brief moments she will calm down but then begin to thrash about again. She no longer sits on your lap, she prefers to just cuddle up in her bed. She will interact if she wants to eat, follow you around or bark at you. Eating is a chore since she eats a pate dog food about 4 times a day because she doesn't have any teeth. We add bone broth to her food to be sure she's hydrated because she refuses to drink any water. We put her in a pen when eating because she gets the food all over. After eating her mouth is a mess from the food so we try to pat off the residue and she thrashes about because she doesn't want you to do that. (If we don't clean her after eating it get's caked around her mouth and she smells awful)

She rarely or no longer signals when she has to potty outside. She has regressed in going to the potty outside even if you take her out multiple times she will come back in and pee on the floor. Sometimes she will potty outside since we keep a 3 hour schedule. And yes sometimes she appears confused even in a familiar place. She has been to the Vet and is physically healthy. The vet did suggest Bright Mind food and it did seem to perk her up a bit but these behaviors just seem to be worsening. Occasionally she will let you handle her and she seems to be content. The only saving grace is that my daughter now works from home and can care for her.

Anyone experience these behaviors with an aging Yorkie? Can she be given something safely when riding in the car or for grooming purposes? I get a bit emotional seeing her like this. I think I have a few pics of her in my YT album. I love her so!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!