View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Hi folks, sorry to be so long responding. I appreciate all the advice given here. Glad to know it's not all just in my head!

ladyjane, thank you for the suggestion on the gaba tablets. I did look them up and it appears the smallest dose is 25 mg? Can you tell me how that would translate as opposed to 0.20 ml of liquid? I can't tell if it's too much or just a bit over what she takes now.
Agreed that it must taste awful as Jenna does the same thing. I think after almost a week and a half she may be getting used to it, but it's not appreciated. I also worry she's shaking her head so violently that she's not doing her arthritis any good. I've wondered about IVDD with her, would like to get another xray of her spine and neck to be sure she's not deteriorating more rapidly there, that might cause us to rethink her therapy.

She's still mortal painful in the face apparently if her pawing at it after meals or when she wakes from sleeping is any indication. Most of the day she's asleep, as I would expect her to be at her age, especially with how cold it is here. Neither of us likes to be outdoors in the Oregon weather. I notice too her face is very drawn around the cheekbones and that makes me think this is also an old age thing or maybe something else? It really started losing definition when she was taken off steroids last year. I've thought she might be dealing with some kind of muscle wasting disease but she'd need more testing, some of which might be of a biopsy nature, to be sure. I doubt I could get my vet to look into it without a lot of begging on my part.

She's had this hanging tongue for awhile now it just hasn't been as pronounced, so I think she's fairly used to it, but I'm not going to just let the vet explain it away due to that. She's uncomfy. It could be her teeth, her jaw or her eyes...no matter which it is I think she's better served to determine the cause instead of just treat the symptoms and "hope" it goes away.

She's also got "wheezy" nasal breathing but I'm not sure if it's from how tightly she keeps her paws around her face while sleeping.

I might add her left eye has a corneal ulcer that today looks a little deeper than in the last few days. There's no pus or exudate of any kind, the eye has been weeping more clear fluid (I'm assuming it's aqueous humour) but not excessively. I know that must sting, every time we use her drops she either doesn't want to open the eye or will react when I use her medicine on it. The whites are also quite bloodshot, but often the antibiotic ointment given to treat the ulcer will cause that. It clears up and then about the time she's due for more meds it flares up again.

If anyone has any other ideas, or questions I can ask on her behalf, I'm all ears. Thanks again for all your help.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!