View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
Bluebells
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhajou View Post
I agree with you. From what I read and heard, silky coated yorkies have less dense hair, flowing and long. So cottony coat should be short and dense. Sophie, I think may be cottony coat but her hair grows long. So, I am little confused myself. Also, she has orange/red eye color. Someone on the post said silky coated yorkie have Green color eyes and Cottony coated yorkie has redish color eyes. My last yorkie had silky coat but she had thin and long hair and green eye colors(found old photos to confirm this).

Sophie is definitely higher maintenance... I brush her hair daily and learned to use thinning scissors when I have to give her hair cut. otherwise it gets tangled and puffy very easily. I enjoy taking care of her though.

I am really glad a member put up this post. I learn new things each time I visit... I just hope we can see more photos of people' yorkies...

I think cotton coats have the potential to grow long; however, most owners keep them cut short because they’re so impossible to groom and keep in good (unmatted) condition. I know the coat of my (cotton coated) Havanese used to grow very long, but — as I said above — it was impossible to maintain. Because of the matts, I would have to constantly cut out big chunks of matted hair, even though I was brushing her (it seemed like) constantly.

I’ve been thinking about it, and my experience was that she (the cotton coated Havanese) matted at the base of her coat, close to her skin, which was what made it so difficult to prevent the matts even with frequent, thorough brushing. My silky coated Yorkie, on the other hand, gets tangles in his hair, similar to a fine-haired child getting tangles, but reasonably regular brushing prevents the tangles from turning into matts.

From what I’ve read, there is a third type of Yorkie coat called “wired” or “wiry” and that kind of coat breaks off and won’t grow long. I don’t know enough about it, though, to know if wire coated Yorkies are really pure bred or perhaps mixed.
Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!