View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #10
adoumski
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
Yorkie owners with more experience than I have might disagree, but I suspect it’s pretty difficult to distinguish a silky coat vs a cotton coat just from a photo. The difference is as much in how the coats feel and behave as what they look like.

Just as an example, I have an almost fourteen year old Havanese and a one year old Yorkie. My Havanese unquestionably has a cotton coat. It’s soft, but it’s very, very thick and somewhat curly. When she’s wet, she looks half the size she looks when she’s dry. When she was young, I tried to keep her coat long, but it was impossible. Even if I brushed her thoroughly twice a day, her coat matted like a felted cotton ball. I finally decided it wasn’t worth the effort, and I now keep her trimmed very short.

My Yorkie, I believe, has a silky coat. His hair is much thinner and much finer, more like human hair. It’s soft and silky. He doesn’t look any different in size whether he’s wet or dry. His hair doesn’t matt, even if I go a day or two between brushings. For now, I’m letting it grow long, and it’s not any problem to maintain. (Of course, it hasn’t quite reached full adult length yet. That may change over the next year.)
that is helpful thanks.
adoumski is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!