View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
aweitzm1
YT 500 Club Member

Default Update on Thumper and Proteinuria

Hi All,

First wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Holiday to you and your fur babies. I have not been online much as I have been dealing with Thumper's issues. I wanted to update everyone on his condition

For the past month I have been taking him to the Animal Hospital near me to be treated as his regular said this is out of her expertise.

He has had protein in the urine and the number is now 8.8 which is very high. The vet at the hospital felt it was related to his blood pressure and Cushing's Disease. However, now that those two issues are being well controlled with medication. He has confirmed that this is definitely a kidney issue.

He diagnosed him with proteinuria. He said a kidney biopsy is an option but it would not change how he treats Thumper. I said unless he felt it was absolutely necessary for Thumper to have the biopsy I would prefer not getting it done.

The vet is not very friendly so getting answers is hard but what I have gathered is that this will progressively get worse. Right now he has an excellent quality of life. When I asked for a range of how long dogs typically live with this disease he would not tell me. All the online research I did said 60 days to a couple years.

Right now I am a little numb to the news. I will do anything to keep Thumper happy and healthy. I want him with me for many more years. He is only about 9-10 years old. This is just giving me thought that I do not know how much longer I will have him.

The vet increased his enaparil dosage and we will re-test again in one month. If the protein increases again he will either change the meds or add an additional medication.

I have been giving Thumper extra hugs and kisses. His sister has also been cuddling with him.

Honestly, you cannot tell that he is sick. He loves to play and cuddle. His personality has not changed. He even loves taking his meds as I put them in a pill pocket and he is trained to expect it at meal times. Thumper will do anything for food.

He recently sniffed out a bag of rice in the pantry nudged the door open and ripped into it. I have been finding rice for days all over the floor. It even gave him diarrhea for the past week and it did not slow him down.

I just love this guy and his sister to pieces.

Thanks for listening all

Again happy holidays
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!