View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
bellajayne
Senior Yorkie Talker

My yorkie Guinness had both of his eyes done 2 years ago last month and I would agree with the commitment part! Definitely worth it though. We had a hard time the first few months with high pressure in his eyes and he developed ulcers but with the right medications the issues resolved. I was fortunate to be able to take him to work with me because he required eye drops so frequently throughout the day for several months. He didn't seem to heal as quickly as most dogs and had to wear his cone for over 2 months, but it's amazing how they get used to it. He now gets drops in both eyes twice a day. It was worth it for his quality of life! He is 11 years old now. I would do it all over again. Guinness' surgery cost a little over $5000 but fortunately we have Trupanion insurance which paid 90% of the cost less the exam fees. There has been quite a bit of out of pocket cost over the last 2 years for the exam fees and medications but not nearly as much as it would have been without the insurance. So glad we were able to do it for him!

Sadly we are now dealing with kidney failure in our poor little guy. We are giving him medicine and fluids daily. It is so hard to see them failing! We have good days and bad days. I try to focus on and be thankful for the good days with him!

Glad your little girl is doing good post-surgery!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!