View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
Namor
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Deuce had Cataract Surgery with lens implant

As an update to my previous post I wanted to let you know that Deuce did have a cataract. The ophthalmologist found he was a good candidate although she admitted that yorkies have some potential for problems. He had a mature cataract
in his right eye and has one growing in the left. She proposed doing just one due to her experience with yorkies. He had it done on 11/30. He's doing great! We visited the Doc the day after surgery and he has vision. We will see her each week until the end of December. He has the "cone of shame" on so he's not thrilled about that and cannot play with his toys. That's the hardest part for him. I have drops to put in his eye several times a day and oral antibiotics, which are almost done. Of course he's getting the royal treatment and has taken over my favorite chunky throw. (see pic) This type of surgery takes a commitment on the owner's part to keep up with the medications and care for it to be successful. Will update in a few more weeks.

FYI - The average age of a dog getting this surgery is 11 years. It's the same surgery as they do on humans laser and implant - don't know if the lens is the same though. Be prepared for sticker shock to the tune of about $2800 for one eye. As a human with vision problems I felt it was worth it for him to have vision for the rest of his life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Cone.jpeg (71.6 KB, 14 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!