View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

I have had many pups with varying degrees of collapsed tracheas. I have a couple of threads here on YT with suggestions...I will look for them.

The x-ray you posted does not show a severe collapse BUT that does not mean it is not collapsing. The only definitive way to diagnose collapsed trachea is by flouroscopy because it shows inspiration and expiration, showing how the wall of the trachea is holding up. X-rays do sometimes show it, but not always!!

There are many treatment options for it....has she been given any meds specifically for the cough? Hycodan cough syrup is usually the first one the vets RX. One of my fosters has intermittent problems with coughing at night so my vet has ordered hycodan for him. There are other treatments/meds. Lomotil is a very interesting one and does help some of them. It is an anti diarrheal for people but works for CT. You might want to ask your vet about it. Some of them benefit from prednisone. I don't know that I would want to put a stent in a 13 year old....and I certainly wouldn't do it unless all other options were tried first. Since she isn't constantly coughing, I think perhaps you can get this controlled. (I hope so because it is difficult to see them have trouble breathing).

Keeping them cool and stress free is very helpful. Walking outside in the heat is bad and collars when walking are bad...keep a harness on her for walking! I had a pup who would have periodic bad episodes that were relieved by taking him out to my car and letting the air conditioning vent blow in his face!

Let me look for some of my threads to see if I may have missed something.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!