View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Default Normal vaccine pain vs not normal

Normal shot reactions vs not so normal ones? When is shot site pain normal and not? Callie would be sensitive at the shot spot and Penny and Ollie act like they never even got a shot, although all three were bigger when I got them a puppies then Joey and Dixie. Joey had big issues with vaccines as a puppy that made us have to go to the ER vet and then give Benadryl and pain meds for 2 to 3 days after a shot. His reaction was shaking and extreme lethargy and not eating or drinking and a few other things. Dixie had her Distemper/parvo shot at around 3:30 pm yesterday and was fine until around 9pm or 10pm when even just the slightest touch would make her scream. It was almost impossible to pick her up without her screaming. She was walking fine and eating and drinking and was just a little more sleepy then normal. She can be slightly dramatic sometimes but not this dramatic. I thought she would be better by this morning and she wasn't so called the vet and they told me how much of the pain meds to give that I had on hand. She is much better after the pain meds and you can even touch around the area without her screaming and she is being a pretty normal puppy now. She is very fluffy but I don't think there is a lump or a rash and it was impossible to look last night. My question is if it was that bad should I make sure she receives pain meds after her shot and at least for the first day after to try and keep it from getting to that level again? I figure that pain is not like an allergic reaction and Benadryl wont really work here like it has for Joey. I believe in vaccines completely I just want to try and avoid the amount of pain she was in. She has to get one more distemper/parvo shot and then her rabies. Due to Lyme being a pretty hard on them shot and very much was for Joey I have decided to put that one off until spring. What is normal pain from a shot and what is not normal?
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!