View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
Dino1215
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Littermates Fighting

Hello,

I would like to share my story in hopes that it will help others in the future. My husband and I brought home two male Yorkie puppies from the same litter. Before doing so I found a reputable breeder in CT and spoke to her about bringing two males home and wanted her opinion (she thought it was great!). I also asked a few other breeders via email and phone calls. None, including the woman we picked the puppies up from, warned us that after they mature they may start fighting.

They got along great as pups. We had them neutered at 5 and 1/2 months. They would play with each other and be rough and tumble, but never aggressive. Once and a while they would fight, but the breeder and my vet told me it was probably due to a new smell (they were just groomed or had been at the vet) and not to worry about it.

When they were about 18 months the fighting became so bad that we had to keep them separated and after no progress was made we had to re-home one. It was/is one of the most heartbreaking things I've gone through. We were fortunate to find him a very loving home.

Before re-homing we contacted and worked with two animal behaviorists and our vet's office and all of them said that this happens more often than not. Two puppies of the same sex and the same litter typically do not get along. All three recommended re-homing at this stage. We also tried everything we could think of and read about, e.g., feeding them separately, walking and playing with them separately, separate sleeping areas.

I did contact the breeder when it first started and she was unable to help - honestly, her response was very disappointing. She didn't seem to care or want to help.

Anyway, I wanted to let others know about my experience. Both the boys are thriving now. They are happy and get along great with other dogs and cats - just not each other.
Dino1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!