View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Wow, 15! That is an awesome age. I can understand your concern and also your determination that she not be in pain and how it may necessitate the risk. If needs be, I will probably allow Jenna's eye or eyes to be removed, as long as it can be done safely and her remaining time be kept comfortable. I just can't see losing her to this issue, she is still so full of life.

Well, to my surprise, at her recheck on this last Thursday, the vet found the pressure in her left eye to be down to 16-18 from the previous 34-35! Granted the pressure a month ago was just after her drops went in (within the hour) and while it doesn't seem like it should be an issue, apparently the longer you wait to take pressures after medication, the lower they will go. Her right eye was the same as last time, in the 13-16 range. He took the pressures on the left eye 3 times to be sure. At one point it looked like they would top out in the mid 20's but he was holding the instrument a bit sideways during that reading so position may have been a problem in getting a correct reading. With repeated attempts the pressure continued to read in the teens.

I'm gobsmacked, really. But she hasn't been going at her face as much and seems more comfortable. One thing I've been keeping up on better is timing of drops, keeping them properly spread out during the day when her in between dosing needs doing, and also using Systane Ultra for any dry eye she is experiencing which is doing wonders for that ulceration. I've googled a bit and noticed some topics about people asking if treating dry eye helps lower IOP but there's no conclusive evidence. More likely that we're sticking to our schedule and her pressures will likely be higher in the early mornings anyway since we don't wake her to dose drops overnight.

Personally, I'm over the moon! I know it's not a permanent fix but we seem to have been given a miraculous reprieve. It's so good to see her feeling more herself again. With the wildfire smoke pretty much gone now (we've had good rain for the last few days) we're all feeling a lot less uncomfortable.

Thanks to everyone thinking of my wee Jenna. Bless you. xx
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!