View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Hello ladyjane,
Jenna is still soldiering on. She's had a very resistant ulcer in her right eye that's only now clearing up. We've been treating it for months. Sadly, the COVID situation has rendered it impossible for her ophthalmologist to see her, because it would mean travel from another county. Her regular vet left in July and so we have a new gentleman keeping up with her progress. We still don't have enough funds to enucleate but we seem to be keeping her pain as under control as possible.

Anyone here have experience of using gapabentin for their pups? I have to admit I'm wary of it. Used it years ago to help with my house rabbits' arthritis. It's supposed to work well for glaucoma discomfort but it does have some worrisome side effects.

We had to deal with lots of wildfire smoke from the Medford area of Oregon and also Northern California that irritated her eyes and breathing quite a bit for the last few weeks. Fortunately we've been blessed with rains so the air is much clearer, but it took a toll on her well being and we weren't able to conduct our usual long walks, which made her more agitated when awake.

She's normally very clingy but has become more so. I assume it's getting harder for her to even see patches of light. She bumps into a lot more walls and floor based objects like chairs. I'm just trying to keep her from injuring the eyes any farther, because that will be emergency surgery if they rupture or otherwise become untreatable.

Her favorite pastime is still time with me. She's always glad to realize when I've come home from work, and enjoys brief car rides around town. Everyone knows her here and loves to see her.

I was thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to see if I could raise some money that way, as things like selling on Ebay or garage sales seem to have gone by the wayside in the pandemic. I've never done anything like this before though and am dubious of success, but I suppose it would be worth a try. I hate the idea of publicly begging, which is all this is to me, but she is too important to me not to explore any avenue that could help.

Other than that we are just watching her pressures and hoping they remain stable. The left eye was last read a month ago at around 34 and the right at 13. She has an appointment in the next few days to check them again.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and concern for my baby.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!