View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #7
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
This is an opinion piece. The one comment that person makes in the section on invasive treatment was astounding to me. I don't know of any reputable veterinary neuro surgeon who would, to quote the author, "rush a “down dog” into surgery, especially when she or he has lost pain sensation". A dog like that is unlikely to benefit from surgery. That is well known. They don't rush into surgery without doing appropriate diagnostics.

BUT, aside from all of that, this article is not about treatment for IVDD. It is about animals/humans who already have progressed to paralysis and are either para or quadriplegic. Crating a dog that is already paralyzed isn't what I am referring to...absolutely they need movement so that they don't develop contractures. The article REALLY is about acupuncture.

You can find opinions all over the internet. They are just what they are named: opinions, the author(s) thoughts, not necessarily fact.

This article/opinion is also referring to human patients as their basis. The human spine and the animal spine recoveries can be very different. Dogs recover faster from spinal surgery because they don't stand upright...but I am merely saying that because I don't see the value of comparing the two.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!