Thread: Cat attack help
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Just saw this thread. So GLAD little Cody is okay. There is no horror as awful as hearing your tiny terrier snarling/growling/fighting away and you don't know what he's cornered or how horribly he's injured, which of course, you imagine is everything from eyeballs scratched out to huge, tearing bites/lacerations all over that precious little face or even worse. Your mind just goes wild with terrors until you get them up and examine those eyes with lights and magnifying glasses, part every hair on their body looking for any type perforation, scratch or injury to even opening their mouths to see what killer damage has taken place in there!

All kidding aside, we all know where your mind went until you discovered little Cody was fine, thank the Lord! Thankfully, you finally got him to "leave it" as trained. That's impressive. Even the best-trained toy terrier is hard to get through to in the heat of battle as your words just don't get through all that focused prey-drive for ages. Sadly, we've all been there or we will be on more than one occasion due to the fact that our little troublemakers ever live to hunt and beard their lions any time they scent a nearby critter - and all too frequently find them. Life with a terrier is not an easy one for poor mom/dad!

Just so relieved Cody is okay! Whew! Close call. Any time Tibbe or any of my Yorkies encountered a cat or squirrel or whatever critter, I was certain he/she was half dead until I got to them and finished all the exams. And oh, how right you were about the shot of prey-drive adrenalin they just got blasted with during the fight keeps them amped the rest of the week! Takes forever for them to refocus and stop hunting that last foe! Hang in there, Joan, it doesn't get any easier!
Thank you Jeanie

This is the 2nd time he got another animal, I knew I would never break through that focus of his drive to kill, I was absolutely shocked on both occasions when my shouting got through to him and he came on command to me. That is not to say I know in the future if this happens again he's going to "leave it" on command. Now I have him stay in the house until I check the deck area especially under covered swings and BBQ grills. Now every 10 minutes he wants out, I ask, you have to make pee pee, he wags that lil stump, but nooooo, he doesn't make, he's looking for trouble lol. I know what life with a yorkie is like Cody is # 5 for me, and I wouldn't have it any other way, I just love the yorkie breed even if they do keep us on our toes. So I do what must be done to keep him safe, check my deck now for frogs and cats, I'm just so thankful he didn't lose his eye.

Last edited by matese; 07-26-2020 at 06:44 AM.
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!