View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Bluebells
YT Addict

I don’t have any close experience with this but, through rescue work, I know of many cases where dogs and cats have had eyes removed, either due to illness or injury. Other than the risks involved with the surgery, I don’t think there’s much difference between how an animal adjusts to eye removal vs how an animal adjusts to blindness without eye removal. Animals, in general, handle blindness quite well ... far better than they handle continuous pain. And — perhaps I’m wrong here, but — I don’t think an animal’s adjustment would be much different to being totally blind vs having a tiny amount of light & shadow in one eye. I don’t see why the tiny amount of light & shadow would be emotionally comforting in any way. So, if it were my decision, I would probably weigh the emotional cost and health risk of continuing discomfort and a possible second surgery as worse than losing that tiny bit of light & shadow.

It’s totally a personal decision, of course. No one is going to criticize you for taking whichever path you decide is best for your pup. I’m sorry your pup is going through this, but please don’t torture yourself over it. Make the best choice you can among the poor choices you’ve been given, and then remember you did your best.
Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!