View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoy View Post
Unfortunately, I have had to deal with this situation more than a few times over my many years of living in a multi-animal family household. Each time was unique, as were the dynamics between the little ones affected. Believe it or not, one of the toughest times for readjustment was when we lost our sweet calico cat who lived in the finished basement due to my husband's allergies. Both my yorkies would scratch on the basement door and quietly whine for weeks after she passed. They were used to having time together, and would race down the stairs to find her most every day.

When we lost one of our yorkies at our home in New York, we thought that his older brother understood that he was gone...however, when we returned to our Florida home a month later, he ran to the back lanai door and tugged at the leash which his brother had used. Then he spent time searching and sniffing in every room. It broke my heart.

When we lost Beau earlier this year, he had been failing for quite some time. Gus and Ty would spend time sniffing and nudging him, and lying beside him in the large group bed. I know that they sensed that he was frail and would be leaving soon. When we returned from that last vet visit, I left his bed and blanket on the floor of our family room for about a week. They would visit it for an occasional sniff, but when they stopped going over we quietly put it away. Likewise, we left the water dish they shared in place, but slowly removed his food dish, replacing it with a second water dish. I know that they still miss him at times...Gus will still bring over one of Beau's toys at playtime once in awhile; but he merely drops it at our feet, then moves on to play with his own.

Just like you, your pack will have to make their own adjustments, and each of them will be different in how they react. Thank goodness they have you! Your love, attention and sensitivity will help them along the way. (((hugs)))
Callie was my first so this was my first time dealing with this. I thought them having each other would make it better but I guess not completely. I just wish I could explain it to them. I know that they knew she was sick because they started acting weird her last few days. My dad thinks they are having issues coming together as a pack and think they need to go for walks together and stuff but it has been in the 90's and just too hot for me and them. I'm going to write an email to my trainer and see what she thinks about what my dad thinks and if there are other ways then just a walk. I just figured that since Penny and Callie had their little power fights that Penny would be moving in as pack leader but I guess I'm not completely sure how that works. If Penny is stressed now I'm worried she might have a nervous break down when the fireworks start going off next weekend.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!