View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
Bluebells
YT Addict

Is there one attachment or two? I can see one, but then there appears to be a link to “attachment 2” but I get an error message when I click on it.

Anyway, I can see a T4 test on the visible attachment, and I see the value 8.6, which is outside the stated range. Did your vet discuss it with you further?

Perhaps it’s because you’re in a different country, but the numbers still don’t make much sense to me. The website I suggested above was just reorganized, so here’s a new link to their page on thyroid tests — which contains a new link to a page showing normal values.

https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/why-...s-high-or-low/

The page on the link has detailed yet easy to understand information on thyroid problems and testing. The linked “blood values” page lists the normal range for a canine T4 test as .8 to 2.9 (so neither 8.6 nor 13 would be normal on that test), but it also lists the normal range for a canine “free T4” test as 8 to 40 (so both 8.6 and 13 would be in the normal range on that one).

Bottom line, your vet simply needs to explain this better to you — both his concerns and his recommendations. There’s very little risk factor in getting another blood test, so I’d be inclined to do that if it were my pup, but I might also be thinking about finding a new vet if mine couldn’t explain everything to my satisfaction. It’s really important to have a vet who you trust and who is willing to take the time to help you understand your pup’s health issues.
Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!