View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoy View Post
My concern is not scaring Ty as well. We have worked so hard on building his confidence, and he is now happy to greet neighbors and friends...rather than shy away. I think I will try activating an umbrella while we are home, in a safe place, so that he will not be startled. As I have said before, it takes way more time and effort to undo negative experiences for sensitive little ones, and they can revert so quickly if they feel unsafe!
My Jilly and then Tibbe were skittish too around the umbrella at first but with fun-associated desensitization training, treats, lots of laughing, happy praise every time it opened up, they both got used to it, accepted it; and outside on walkies were so excited by all the other energy and scents there, they each accepted it like anything else going on. And it's not like you have to open it all the time, in fact, rarely but it's there in case its their life vs. a giant bully dog or dangerous bird with a stiletto beak starts to draw a bead on them.

But, look, even if they didn't accept it gracefully, I'd rather take a chance of briefly scaring my dog than the horror and trauma associated with an actual vicious attack, the blood and pain, awful vet treatments, painful rehab or losing it to a creature out to maim or kill it!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!