View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marna1957 View Post
I disagree. Yorkies were bred to be a tiny breed from the beginning of when they became a breed. When the Standard was first set, it was for small to tiny dogs.

Smokey the WWII Yorkie Hero was bathed inside an Army Helmet.

FROM: The Complete Yorkshire Terrier / Gordon & Bennet; "The Weaving of the Breed".....page 29, "....a few years of it's introduction was producing dogs under five pounds....."

In the early 1900s Ch Yankee Kitty weighed in at 1 3/4 pounds. Said to be the smallest known at the time. That, is adult weight.

I get you on "throw backs'. I do. But I think most of the problems of the larger Yorkies, is breeders who are NOT breeding by the Standard. They just 'rub two dogs together' and sell their puppies for a lot of money.

I ran into a LOT of this when I was searching for my puppy. I said before and I will say again, know what you are looking for BEFORE you visit puppies listed for sale. Ask to see BOTH parents. Read the OLD Books on the Breed, not the new PC crap.

Yes. Throw Backs can and DO happen. But I think people not breeding for the Standard is the Root of the Problem. Too many people that are 'rubbing dogs together' have no idea that there even IS a Standard for Dogs written!
Well disagree is what we must do because yorkies were much closer to the 15 pounds until they were bred down. Even exceptional breeders get a larger yorkie every now and then. I personally do not like the AKC or what they have done to many breeds let alone the breeding down of yorkies. There is absolutely no reason the tail needs to be docked at all. Yes I know that AKC is the only way to insure your getting a pure bred dog but I am a bit disappointed in them. Many many puppy mill dogs are AKC registered but the AKC just cares about the money rather then cutting down on the puppy mills. I probably will never own a puppy from a reputable breeder, I will just keep taking the pups no one wants and loving them. I enjoy the bigger yorkies and am happy to have them.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!