View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #12
Marna1957
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
I think people tend to for get yorkies used to be bigger then they were breed down to now so throw backs happen. The breeder I got Ollie from Sid at 5 months he was bigger then his parents and all his siblings so it happens sometimes. In A LOT of cases I have seen the runt become the biggest out of the litter lol.

I disagree. Yorkies were bred to be a tiny breed from the beginning of when they became a breed. When the Standard was first set, it was for small to tiny dogs.

Smokey the WWII Yorkie Hero was bathed inside an Army Helmet.

FROM: The Complete Yorkshire Terrier / Gordon & Bennet; "The Weaving of the Breed".....page 29, "....a few years of it's introduction was producing dogs under five pounds....."

In the early 1900s Ch Yankee Kitty weighed in at 1 3/4 pounds. Said to be the smallest known at the time. That, is adult weight.

I get you on "throw backs'. I do. But I think most of the problems of the larger Yorkies, is breeders who are NOT breeding by the Standard. They just 'rub two dogs together' and sell their puppies for a lot of money.

I ran into a LOT of this when I was searching for my puppy. I said before and I will say again, know what you are looking for BEFORE you visit puppies listed for sale. Ask to see BOTH parents. Read the OLD Books on the Breed, not the new PC crap.

Yes. Throw Backs can and DO happen. But I think people not breeding for the Standard is the Root of the Problem. Too many people that are 'rubbing dogs together' have no idea that there even IS a Standard for Dogs written!
Marna1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!