View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
maggiefromnj
YT Addict

Default Polyp in colon, bleeds after producing firm stool

Maggie is almost 10, she is a yorkie poo, but everybody thinks she is a yorkie. She is about 10 pounds and has been very healthy except for back surgery 3 years ago and some knee issues. Spayed at 9 months old.

A few weeks ago I noticed her scoot on the rug and there was a streak of blood. She is NOT a scooter usually. I pressed a tissue to her rear and it had a quarter size spot of blood. It took a few minutes and it had stopped. It wasn't dripping, just got blood on the tissue. Her stool that day was rather firm on the lead edge, probably because she had to hold it past her usual time....And she may not have gone the day before (Prior to this she was a 1or 2x/day pooper) After a few days and some repeat incidents of blood she went tot he vet.

Vet did a rectal (finger) and found a polyp about an inch in. It's on a stalk. She said they are usually benign, but of course she say 100%. She also had a very full anal gland. I have NEVER has a gland issue with her. I don't know if petsmart typically does the glands and maybe the girl she had the last 2 times didn't do it, or if the gland is a new/related issue. She says the stool irritates the polyp and it bleeds.

Put her on metronidazole and miralax. When her stool is soft she does not bleed. For about a week she had soft stool and also skipped some days. Problem is that she is on to my tricks and it was so hard to get the miralax (1/4 tsp 2x/day) . I missed some days and the stool firmed up (not hard, but firmer than peanut butter). It did bleed on the firm days, but not as much (it was less firm that when it started, but not as soft as needed)

Today I got her to take the miralax in yogurt. I tried pumpkin and she only would touch it twice..Hopefully I can keep getting it in her. She is a icky picky picky eater.

Final bit of info. About a month before the first bleed we started a switch to Purina One smartbites from Honest Kitchen base mix. Made this change to get off grain free. Changing didn't seem to affect her stomach, but I may have to switch back or try something else, because she is once again picking out the chicken or ground turkey that we mix in. Tried canned foods too, she'll eat them for 1 or 2 times, but not after that. She gobbles up chicken breast with white rice!

Back to vet for follow up. I ran out of the antibiotic but she may go back on it. (she has figured out my tricks for that too, so I got hot dogs to try). I think removing the polyp will be the only real solution, but that has risks too. I don't know if it's as easy as it is with people. I don't know if it can ever go away on it's own. Obviously cancer is a possibility, however small. Even if benign, I can't give her miralax for the rest of her life.

Any suggestions to ask the vet?
maggiefromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!