View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
yorkalicious
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
The problem with your link is it says nothing about the supplements that need to be added. I have seen dogs eat home cooked food without the supplements and end up losing all their teeth and having very brittle bones. It’s much better to use either a vet nutritionist who can tell you what supplements need to be added or something like balance it or just food for dogs. I noticed in the link she said balance it was great for lots of recipes but those are made to use their supplements with them and are not just magically balanced without them.
Yep, I couldn't agree more and that is why I always recommend resources like 'Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats' to use as a guideline/baseline. I've seen people wander off on a quest for 'whole pet foods' without really checking against a nutritional resource too and you can definitely run into trouble.

That's why so many vets dismiss it/recommend against it...they view it as a liability if you don't take the time to educate yourself and, frankly, they are right. However, I do believe anyone can use the numerous vet-sourced resources out there to do a good job and protect your pet's health.

Also, to your point, consulting with a vet nutritionist is a great route. We've spent some time looking for more holistic/natural vets in our area with good luck as well - they tend to be far more open to alternative diets and don't shy away from digging into the nutritional side of things pretty deeply.
yorkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!