View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

When we got our first terrier it was an experience to say the least. She was on the go just about every moment of the day, getting into trouble a great deal of that time.....until I finally found a harness small enough to fit her so I could begin taking her for walks. Well, at first she was taking me for walks....but the difference was immediate and wonderful.

Anyway, she was so much different after coming back from a walk. For one thing she ran off a lot of that excess energy that young ones have and she really enjoys the explore. We live in a rural area with lots of wildlife so she has plenty to check up on.

I always tell people with young dogs that are getting into trouble to take the dog for at least two good long and brisk walks a day, even if they have a fenced yard. A dog does not get that much exercise walking around in a yard. It's great for the people because they don't have to go out and spend time walking but the dog needs that exercise....and most of us can use fifteen to twenty minutes twice a day moving around. I have back issues but I still make sure the dogs get their walks.
A tired dog is a calmer dog and is not bored and looking for something to do. Dogs do have a need for mental challenge as do humans. When they explore new places or scents that is helping to exercise the mind as well as body. They also need a good all natural chew toy. Chewing is a natural way for dogs to deal with any stress or anxiety that they may have. Our dogs tend to go get their bones when company comes. They know that they are not supposed to jump on or bother company so they deal with it by chewing on their bones. I swear that those two things saved our pup's and my life!
The walks help them wear off that excess energy and the chews help them to deal with frustrations while inside WITHOUT destroying things around the house.
I think PETA has done a lot of make pet owners look like loons. Maybe they have good intentions but it seems more like just another matter taken to the extreme.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!