View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #30
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapper View Post
Two days after being fixed and no change. I had bloodwork done and they are completely healthy. Poor Sam pooped this morning and had poop all over his bum. I couldn’t get near him to clean him. I had to use the hose outside. He was so upset and I feel terrible. He is going to see a behaviourist in March. In the meantime would the vet have a sedative that they could give him? Or would a ThunderShirt be worth a try? I think he was abused by a man before I got him. My mom told me she will take him if he doesn’t respond to the training.
If you cannot get a harness on him you will never get a thunder shirt on. Speak with your vet, in one of my earlier post I told you the same thing, to speak to your vet about his behavior. There are meds, sedatives, but you don't want him dope up 24/7 until he sees a behaviorist, I am glad you have elected a behaviorist over obedience training.

I agree, I believe this poor dog was beat and reason when you reach out for him he gets aggressive, protecting himself. It could have been by a man but, my family consists of mostly woman. When I had a pack of 3, my youngest one would go after the heels of any man that came near her. When repair men came in I had to lock her up. I believe it was the masculine voice and the tallness towering over her, there were 2 males in my family that she was ok with because she saw them a lot, she was use to soft woman voices. I bought her as a wee lil puppy so she wasn't abused. As for them being neutered, again in a earlier post I wrote do not expect overnight changes after they get neutered, everything takes time. You will see changes over time but not in 48 hours. These are rescues even if you paid money for them to some woman who no longer wanted them, they still come with baggage. A behaviorist will work with you and Sam, the trainer will show and tell you how to retrain Sam, you will have to work with Sam using the method the trainer told / showed you. Do not think the behaviorist comes in, sees what triggers Sam's aggression and fixes it, behavior problems has to be worked out of a dog, retrain him and this does not happen in a week or two, it all depends on the dog and the consistency of your training him during the week everyday. He will respond to training, but that is all up to you in being consistent, you have to put the time in, in retraining this poor little dog. I am glad to know that your mom will take him.

Here is a poem, I hope it can help you understand what Sam is going through.

Now that I'm all home, bathed, settled and fed,
All nicely tucked in my warm new bed,
I'd like to open my baggage lest I forget,
There is so much to carry, so much to regret.

Hmmmmm, Yes, there it is right on the top,
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my leash hides Fear and Shame,
As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave,
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.

I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough; for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage? Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things and take me right back?
Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage,
To never repack?
I pray that you do; I'm so tired, you see. But I do come with baggage; will you still want me?

Last edited by matese; 02-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!