View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

P. S. Forgot to add that I usually produce a high-value treat paired with a happy request or anything the dog values highly to encourage the turn-around or back-down, thus directing his attention to the thing he wants and if he follows suit and complies, more rewards, smiles, praise, a stern frown and total blocking of unwanted behavior during early training if he's a bit slow on the uptake. Smart, properly motivated dogs choose the treat or the toy and the smiles over the other quickly and eventually learn there's no other way. The dog is NEVER punished or demeaned, verbally berated for getting it wrong, just blocked with unhappy faces, "uh oh" sounds and whatever body part or small pillow or whatever I have at the ready to encourage his wanting to get it right rather than wrong during early training. He soon learns I'm always and forever ahead of him and begins to rethink how he'll respond, quickly learning to love the good times vs. the other. Dogs hate to be outfoxed and they'll work hard to beat you to it once they get it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!