View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
nanajoy
YT 500 Club Member

I am so very sorry for your pain. I am currently working with my vet on a three week plan to see if our 13 year old poodle's age-related issues can be improved, or if it is time to say goodbye.

I have had to make decisions to release beloved pets from their pain in the past, but in Beau's case it is harder because he still is able to wag his tail with pure happiness many times during the day...despite the fact that his spine is becoming so arthritic that he has trouble walking, and his blood levels are severely compromised. His vet gave us all of the possibilities, and meds, which might lead to improvement, as he feels that we, too, should not "give up hope". If he is not making progress when we check blood levels in three weeks, we are ready to let him cross the rainbow bridge. Having a plan, and being able to make the decision without waiting for a "crisis", has helped my husband and I be at peace with knowing that we will be making the right decision for our sweet little man. Right now he seems to be relatively pain-free, and he is enjoying being pampered at home with his family.

I cannot help you answer the question of "when". You know your baby better than anyone...even his doctor. If you truly feel that giving him more time has a possibility to allow him more pain-free chances to have happy interactions, it may not be time...however, if you are keeping him with you because it breaks your heart to face letting him go, I would urge you to love him enough to say goodbye.

Please know that I will be keeping you in my thoughts at this painful time.

(((hugs)))
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!