View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Jkpal
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
The terrier breed are high energy dogs and should be walked everyday to burn off some of that energy. Walks also build muscle mass. I am not fond of walking my kid in my community because dogs on stakes can break loose, ppl open their doors and their huge dogs come flying out, but I walk him for the simple reason if one day he should get out maybe he will remember his way home. I live in a very heavily wooded area, with miles of woods right behind my house. He knows the deer are there and that's where he would go to, if he did he would be lost forever.

When we take our walks I let him smell every blade of grass, every rock and pebble, every bush and tree, after all it's his walk. I have a yard where he potties so the walks are not potty walks, it's so he gets familiar with the community and where he lives.
Piper would be gone in a blink and we, too, have many large wooded lots around us, plus Lake Geneva (27 miles around) is across the road. With Piper's coloring, she can be difficult to spot even at the end of her 25' leash!! I've had people comment that Piper doesn't heel or 'walk with' me, but I tell them it's her walk, I'm just along for the ride! Weather permitting we walk between a mile and two miles daily, although I do notice she is content with shorter walks these days (as am I)!

Last edited by Jkpal; 01-31-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Jkpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!