View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavenay View Post
So many people who have small dogs don't think they need walking. I have always walked my yorkies every single day weather permitting. Duchess loves being outside and I love seeing her happy. An added bonus of walking them every day is they learn how to find their way home. Because we walked every single day, my yorkies knew every inch of the neighborhood.

I let Duchess guide me back home by letting her lead and no matter where we are in the neighborhood, she knows how to get back home. Brandi (RIP) actually did get out without me knowing it but because she knew the neighborhood, she was able to find her way back home. After searching the neighborhood for her, when I got back home, she was sitting at the front door. It was at that moment I knew that regular walking of dogs in their neighborhood could potentially save their lives.
The terrier breed are high energy dogs and should be walked everyday to burn off some of that energy. Walks also build muscle mass. I am not fond of walking my kid in my community because dogs on stakes can break loose, ppl open their doors and their huge dogs come flying out, but I walk him for the simple reason if one day he should get out maybe he will remember his way home. I live in a very heavily wooded area, with miles of woods right behind my house. He knows the deer are there and that's where he would go to, if he did he would be lost forever.

When we take our walks I let him smell every blade of grass, every rock and pebble, every bush and tree, after all it's his walk. I have a yard where he potties so the walks are not potty walks, it's so he gets familiar with the community and where he lives.

Last edited by matese; 01-30-2020 at 09:28 AM.
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!