View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Thumbs up Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
If this was my dog, I’d start out with petting sessions on the couch, with a bowl of Cheerios for treats. Try to have a few different types of brushes, metal pin, hard rubber/plastic pin, small wire slicker brush, small boar bristle brush, and a few combs. Use a grooming spray to help the tools glide smoothly through the coat. Round tipped scissors are good to have on hand. Leave a brush or two in her view. Use treats as a reward for positive responses to grooming and as a distraction.

Most pups react poorly to having their hair pulled, so avoid pulling hair. Start brushing/combing at the tips of the hair, not at the skin, slowly working your way up to the skin with each section of hair. Hold the hair between the skin and the brush to avoid pulling it if you snag any knots. Brush and comb slowly, and be very light handed and gentle while brushing, especially when using the slicker brush. Try different brushes on her, she may tolerate one better than the other. No pulling or tugging on the legs.
You can use a bath towel draped over her shoulders or an e-collar to block her from biting. Overall, stay calm, be patient with her talk to her calmly and tell her ‘good girl’ a lot through the grooming sessions. Start with short sessions and gradually extend the time as she tolerates getting worked on. I might aim for a leg or a half leg each time. In a week she’ll be done!
Eventually as the trust between you builds, it will advance to the point you will have her done in an hour or less, but it may take some time to get to that point. Always end sessions on a good note, with praise and treats and even a playtime.
AWESOME advice that should be a goto for training to groom tips. It isn't reasonable to expect your dog to accept and/or enjoy grooming unless they have had positive reinforcement training for each specific grooming activity. And even so, some parts all we can hope for is tolerance.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!