View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Of course I want her comfortable. I would love more time with her too though. It's a thin line to walk, isn't it?
Her vet was on vacation this last few weeks, so I haven't had any time with her to run ideas past her. Naturally if it comes to a choice of having Jenna being able to walk properly or having her struggle with her remaining time, I'm going to choose walking. But I do think that even 1.25 mg a day of pred is too much for her. She may be able to still be comfortable with less. The question is, how to reduce it just enough that the side effects are better controlled and yet the desired results achieved?

I wish this stuff came in liquid form so it would be easier to administer a smaller amount to the smaller dogs. Seems like this dose can be given to dogs who range in size from 5 to 20 lbs. i.e. 2.5 mg per 10 lbs of body weight...but would that mean that a 20 lb dog could take just the 1.25? Ergo the 5 lb dog should be able to manage on half that dose? (I'm probably just confusing you.)

https://www.medi-vet.com/Prednisone-...et-p/10683.htm

That's an awfully wide margin for error, imo.

Also, there's this:
https://dogtime.com/dog-health/53163...e-side-effects

It does say that depending on the condition the dog is being treated for, increases or decreases in dosage are sometimes considered. I'm wondering if Jenna could do just as well on a smaller amount of prednisone and she might be happier for it. I'd love to see her a bit more active, not to mention, furrier. The rest we can deal with.

But would that mean a smaller pill or perhaps a day apart between doses? My vet has said that we could try giving her a day away from it, and then reversed and said it has to be every day,... or to take her off it and begin metacam within a 24 to 48 hour period to see if her symptoms are managed with a different drug.

So maybe you can see why I'm confused. It can't be that she could skip and day or not. And one to two days seems awfully quick to switch between steroids and NSAIDS. If you're trying to keep the animal from suffering stomach issues, like bleeds, you can't administer them too close together. That much I know.

So even with iatrogenic Cushing's symptoms, the melatonin should help with Jenna's fur, right? If I opt to keep her on prednisone, is there anything else I should watch out for that might signal a need to reassess her treatment?

How is Callie doing now, btw? How long has she had Cushings?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!