View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Callie has Cushings. There is a type of Cushings that is caused by steroids and once the steroids are removed and leave the system then the Cushings goes away if it was caused by the steroid. A Cushings dog should never be on steroids either unless it’s a life or death situation. Melatonin is very safe and doesn’t effect dogs the same way as humans and doesn’t make them sleepy. The melatonin and lignins don’t actually treat Cushings they just help the symptoms. The actual medicine for Cushings is like a Chemo drug. Cushings when not caused by steroids is caused by a tumor on either the adrenal gland or the pituitary gland and the medicine attacks the tumor to try and destroy it so it’s not producing the hormones but if to much is given it can completely destroy the gland then causing Addisons. Just taking her off the steroid will not cause Addisons. The only symptoms I getting that say Cushings to me is peeing more and wanting to eat more and possibly being lethargic. Is her Alkphosphate liver number up? That’s generally the first sign of Cushings and then you would move on to the test where they take blood then give a small shot of hormones and retest the blood at certain intervals. Being on steroids long term can do other damage then just Cushings so I would attempt to take her off of it. At almost 13 I have opted not to treat Callies Cushings and just the symptoms.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!