View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktowny View Post
There are many hawks where I am and in a place I visit a lot in California. They can totaly get a small yorkie or dog or cats. I have never herd of one being attacked on leash but they can be eaten if you let them outdoors without a roof over them. Ive scene them eat big rabbits and maybe once a racoon!!!!
NYC, Central Park, some years back the city decided to bring hawks in to keep the rat and pigeons population down. The hawks were trained what prey to hunt and eat then they were released in Central park. All work out well for several years.

2008 or 2009 a lady was walking her Chihuahua on leash in the park, a hawk swooped down, grabbed the dog the lady was tugging on the dogs leash and the hawk released the dog. The damage the hawks talons did to this Chihuahua organs should have been fatal, thankfully the dog survived. It seems the city had just released a new trained hawk, they captured that bird for more training.
These birds are very bold when hungry or have babies that need to be fed. There have been several news articles in various states where ppl walking their small dogs on leash where hawks have swept down and grabbed the dog. Some were not as lucky as the NYC Chihuahua.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!