View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Welcome back! Didn't think members had to actually have a Yorkie to join or post the forum, just be a big, big fan of this wonderful breed. Truth is, you just can't beat a Yorkie for personality, adorable terrier determination and no small amount of charm. A Yorkie can charm you into anything! Tiny dogs like Yorkies are easy for smaller-sized people to manage and quite portable so they're able to go almost anywhere with you, easily accepted by most as they don't take up a lot of room, crash knickknacks off furniture with long, waving tails and as a breed usually don't destroy our possessions and certainly don't wreck furniture as you see with some breeds.

Saw a dog show on TV once where the couple's dogs, I think they were Danes or some equally very large breed, had EATEN their living room couch! Had the couch on the show, in tatters and wrecked, part of the upholstery gone from the frame. Those big dogs were bored and literally turned the couple's nice couch into a piece of junk! Can't recall if they explained how or when it was done but imagine coming home from work and finding your expensive couch that you've likely searched the city over for and paid a ransom in price for in tatters!

My sister had an adult standard Poodle and grown Doberman and one day she came home and found the dogs had severed her draperies half way down and tore the entire bottom length of each sizeable drape panel entirely free from the upper half, all the way right across both large panels. The curtain rod had held firm so I was the material that tore once they began to tug on the side of the fabric and I guess once it began to tear, the dog just tugged away till it came free and then went for the next one! To put a period to it, they had then chewed and strewn the two large lower halves into pieces! The dessert was they had eaten off an upholstered tall-backed wing chair's left wing and ate the end off the upholstered arm! And my poor sister had shopped long and hard to find just the right color, upholstery pattern and legs she wanted for matching wing chairs for their den. Thankfully, the other chair was still intact! In two or three hours, while she was out shopping or whatever, her two big dogs had basically destroyed the looks of their lovely den and left upholstery fabric and stuffing, drapery shreds all over their den floor! You just never have to face that kind of destruction with Yorkies.

I've had a total of 3 Yorkshire Terriers over the years and none of them has ever destroyed anything I had. Well, except my late tiny 3 lb. Jilly. She loved my new bedspread set, with everything matching or color-coordinated from the pillow shams, matching throw pillows all the way down to the bedspread, blankets, sheets, pillow cases and dustruffle. It looked so pretty on the bed, even unmade. One day to my horror, when making the bed, I realized one of the still new pillow shams looked kind of faded in the center and quickly realized it wasn't faded, the fabric was almost worn through! Obviously, Jilly had been using her jump stool while I was away at work to get up on my bed and scratch herself a nest on one of the pillow shams and it was getting almost worn through in one spot where she continually scratched over and over as she made the nest/bed she wanted to nap on! I'd caught her at it a time or two on weekends as she loved to sleep on that new pillow and pillow sham for some reason. And I had searched and searched for just the right pattern, thread count, etc., forever and paid a fortune for it all but it looked so good it was worth it. Of course, the pattern had been discontinued when I checked back with the department store so I couldn't replace the pillow shams! That's the only thing I've ever had ruined by a Yorkie, but it wasn't done in raucous play, only making herself a nest as dogs do using their feet to scratch things around into the shape they want to lie down on. But the sham wouldn't change shape so apparently she just kept working on it, using her terrier determination. I had to smile thinking of little Jilly's determination to make the nest she wanted so I immediately forgave her, of course. But in all the years of Yorkies, never had shoes, glasses, purses, furniture, socks, teddy bear collection or anything torn, shredded or chewed on by my Yorkies. Just little Jilly working on making herself a good resting spot and stealing a nap on the new bed set after I was gone.

Yorkshire Terriers make GREAT watchdogs, are eager students for those determined enough to engage them in wanting to please their trainer and learn obedience skills and they make the best pets ever. Anybody who loves dogs has got to adore this breed.

We'll expect lots of stories and pictures if you can mange after you get your new Yorkie home!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!