View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
tortuga
Yorkie Yakker

Default New Puppy and older Yorkie - HELP

We are considering purchasing a toy poodle puppy, We currently own a female Yorkie of six years. Her name is Abby. We lost our 14 year old male Yorkie. He was very loving and of a gentle temperament. Rowdy was the senior dog. He accepted Abby. Of course he ignored her at first, but later they became best of friends. Towards the end of Rowdy's life they were sleeping together in the same bed, I imagine Abby know his end was near.
Abby is very shy and timid around other dogs. She got passed down from a couple of owners to us. She was 3 when we got her. She wasn't properly socialized. She was scared of loud noises. She didn't know how to walk on leash. With lots of love she has improved somewhat. But she still has unresolved issues like hiding under the bed if the TV is too loud.
We are thinking about purchasing a toy poodle puppy to get her to engage more and to have a buddy around that will not intimidate her. We thought about a rescue but they all have issues and they are way bigger than her at a mere 6 pounds.
Do you think this is a good idea? Right now she is the little princess of the house. She does sleep a lot. She doesn't really play with toys. She likes to be in our lap in a blanket. Oh how she loves blankets. We have taken her to the dog park but she hides and doesn't want to engage with other dogs.
So, I am wondering if bringing a puppy into the house would be a mistake. The puppy is a make of 11 weeks. I need some advise and direction on whether or not we should do this. Thanks in advance.
tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!