View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
airplane
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Help with reporting an adverse reaction

Hi everyone,
Through speaking with a lady down in Arizona, I found out that reactions to drugs are supposed to be reported. It’s been a year since Maezie died from anaphylactic shock in response to being given propofol when she went in for her dental. I found out my vet did not report it and she told me that the propofol was made for humans and since it was being used on an animal, that there was no one to report it to. Since then I’ve discovered that, as it says on the government of Canada website, both off-label and/or on-label use of drugs that result in an adverse reaction are considered adverse veterinary drug reactions, and thus, can be reported. At least that’s my understanding. And it seems it’s an off-label usage of that drug since it was made for humans.

I’d like it to be reported if even for the basic reason of keeping statistics. I’m planning on sending some emails and maybe making some phone calls this week to find out if my veterinarian is mistaken or maybe I am misunderstanding it. For the time being, does anyone here know how the reporting of reactions often works in cases where a drug was being used off-label? It just seems to me what my vet told me and what I’m reading on the government of Canada website conflict with each other. So I’m a little bit confused.

Here’s a link to what I was reading on reporting adverse reactions:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/veterinary-drugs/adverse-drug-reactions-adrs.html
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!