View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
volumnus
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Congestive Heart Failure

My yorkie, Knox, will be 10 years old on November 2nd. He has always had breathing problems since he was a puppy, constantly snorting and snoring like a grizzly bear, but it never slowed him down. He has always been very active and playful. According to the vet, one of his nasal passages wasn't fully developed. He's a little guy. He probably also developed a mild case of collapsing trachea over the years. As an adult, Knox weighs 7.1 lbs. The vet said his weight is perfect, but he has gained a little since my wife moved in with us. She says he is part Asian because he loves her Philippine cooking. I have fed him Taste of the Wild Small Breed most of his life, but it's really hard to keep my mom and my wife from spoiling him. My wife and I don't have children, and he is my mom's only grandchild.

I walk him every evening after the sun goes down. About two weeks ago, I started to notice excessive panting. I shortened his walks. I just assumed he was getting old. Ten years old is said to be 70 years old in dog years. Then, last week, it got dramatically worse. He couldn't catch his breath, even when he slept. He was breathing 100 short shallow breaths per minute!

I took him to the vet. She did x-rays. The heart looked slightly enlarged, but she wasn't sure, so she gave him two shots, an antibiotic and a steroid. She gave me antihistamine pills to give him.

The next morning, I thought I was going to lose him. His was gasping to breathe. I rushed him to the emergency pet hospital. They redid all their own tests. It was discovered that he had fluid in his lungs as the result of congestive heart failure. They said the left side of his heart was not pumping out the fluid. They believe we caught it early and that it will be treatable to prolong his life.

They put him on Vetmedin and Lasix. They provided me a 14 day supply of both, and I ordered more from Chewy online. I was afraid he might run out before it arrives. Yesterday they gave him a shot of Lasix at the hospital. His breathing went down from 80 breaths per minute to around 40. I started him on Vetmedin pills as soon as I got home. They want him to take 1.25mg of Vetmedin every 12 hours and 3.125 mg of Lasix every 8 hours (1/4th of a standard 12.5mg Lasix pill). After three days, the bet wants me to reduce the Lasix to every 12 hours.

Knox was on death's doorstep yesterday morning. I thought I was going to lose him. This morning he was jumping off the bed (not using his stairs) and barking at squirrels and behaving almost like normal. I'm trying to make him rest. Imagine basically hyperventilating for two or three days. It would take a toll on anyone! He still gets short of breath very easily.

The vet wants me to do three main things to help him.

1. Give him the medications.
2. Exercise him appropriately based on his condition.
3. Lower his salt intake.

Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a low salt dog food? I'm going out dog food shopping today.

Knox.jpg
volumnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!