View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
yavenay
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Help Newborn Kitten

So yesterday a stray cat left her two small kittens in my yard. I left them alone because they were hidden in some bushes and I know that oftentimes mothers leave their kittens for sometimes hours at a time.

I just took a stand back and wait approach. The mother did come back but she only took one kitten. So once again I played the waiting game because I was thinking she is going to back for the second kitten so I went to bed thinking both kittens would be okay. Well this morning it was still there.

I went to the store and got some kitten replacement formula which she will not eat. We are going to the vet's this afternoon. The vet also runs a shelter but as luck would have it, I can't get their until this evening. I am hoping the shelter will take it.

Anyway. I am not sure how this cat is still alive. She won't eat and I'm pretty sure it hasn't eaten in over 12 hours.

Meahwhile, it's driving Duchess crazy. She keeps wanting to get to the kitten. A couple of times I let Duchess smell her and immediately Duchess went for her neck. I don't know if this kitten is bringing out Duchess mothering instincts or her hunter instincts but just to be on the safe side, the kitten is in a crate and I have actually put Duchess in the bedroom and closed the door. If not, she will work herself up into a frenzy trying to get to the kitten. My cat is completely indifferent to this kitten.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this kitten to eat. I have kitten replacement milk and a bottle but i don't have any syringes. She will not take any milk from the bottle. Every half hour or so I have managed to get a few drops down but that's it. She won't suckle the bottle. To be honest with you, I am not sure how it's still alive.

Any suggestion on how I can feed her until I can get her to the shelter? I don't plan on keeping it but I just want to make sure she's okay. Should I just let nature take over and take her back where I found her hoping the mother cat comes back and feeds her? I think the mother cat may have rejected her. The mother cat is familiar and this is her territory and I see her all the time. I don't think anything has happened to her but I have not seen her or the other kitten since yesterday. Im just not sure what to do.

I don't have any experience with newborns plus given the round the clock care they need, I would not be able to take care of her because I have to work during the day.

Help

Last edited by yavenay; 10-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!