View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
LOL sit, stay, Cody has that down pat....in the house. Several weeks ago I left Cody on the front deck that has a locked gate so he can't get out. My neighbor got a puppy during the winter, with the warm weather they now let it out loose, no harness, no leash, it's a s**tz Shu so not a big dog. Cody has seen this pup and has a fit. Puppy was not out this day. I go to water my garden bed which is only 10 feet from the deck, I hear him barking like crazy so I walk to the deck to see what he's barking at, before I know it he's flies off the deck and takes off. I am in panic mode, the woods are right behind my house if he gets in those woods he will be gone forever. But he heads for the road, it's the community road but they still do more then the 10 MPH that they are supposed to do. I am calling and calling him and heading towards the road, he comes zooming up the driveway towards me, I reach out and scoop him up praising him for being a good boy because he came when I called him, and thanking GOD that all he did was run in a circle. I couldn't imagine how he could get off a locked deck. So back I put him and make sure that gate is securely locked. Then I head down to the end of my driveway which is 100 feet from the deck. I'm watering the garden beds, no barking so everything is ok. 15 minutes I am finished. I come back to the deck, the gate is open and Cody is gone, I don't know how long he's been out, so I head towards the back, the woods, crying and calling him, all of a sudden he comes from the neighbor that has the puppy, he gets right to my feet, I'm telling him good boy and bending to pick him up and he starts to take off, I holler sit, stay, he paused long enough for me to grab him but he was not going to sit or stay, he had 15 minutes of freedom and wanted more. He follows all commands in the house but there are no distractions, outside there are many distractions and he is focused on running ramped.
I have hardwired outdoor cameras that run 24/7 so I look at the monitor to see how did he get off the deck. Well, the lil monkey had been watching me for years locking and unlocking that gate, I have never before left him alone to water the gardens. On the playback I saw he was jumping at the lock, pushing it up with his nose, 4 tries and he had it opened, that was the first time he had gotten out, the 2nd time the first jump he popped the lock, I saw on the monitor he was loose 15 minutes. He is no longer allowed on the front deck not even for the 2 seconds it takes me to take the trash out. My carpenter is coming to replace this gate with a heavier one and a different lock. He is one determined little boy.

So, unless your furkid obeys commands in distracted situations I wouldn't count on the sit and stay.

I was very, very lucky he came when he heard me calling his name.
I tell you they are smart. With both Joey and Penny I used a long lead out side and would let them sniff and randomly call their names for come. It’s not the same as free but still lots of distractions. Ollie has gotten out a few times when he was small and got through a hole that was dug fast but he came right back. He jumped out of the pool once and went no where luckily. Joey listens very well and comes back. Penny goes straight to people but has never gotten out. Callie was a nightmare as a puppy got out several times even when we were in WV visiting family but we trained her to stop doing that.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!