View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
CouversMom
and Khloe Mae's too!
Donating Member

Default Dilated Cardiomyopothy in Yorkie

Hello All! I have not been around much in the past couple years... but have occasionally checked in. We are now reeling from a diagnosis we received on Monday for Khloe, our 9 (almost 10) year old Yorkie... She has:

1. Dilated cardiomyopathy
2. A thymoma tumor in her chest
3. The beginnings of collapsed trachea

She has been struggling with coughing on and off for the past ~6 months and at our previous vet, we did a couple rounds of antibiotics to see if it would go away... It didn't. In the past couple weeks, we have had the following tests completed:

1. Xray of the chest - found enlarged heart and mass
2. Bloodwork
3. Echocardiogram of the chest - again, found the same thing, so we were referred to WSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital (we were told it's the best in the nation)
4. CT scan of the chest
5. Another echo (this time by a board certified cardiologist)
6. Needle aspirate of the mass
6. Bloodwork... again

We have been told to switch her food immediately. She has always eaten Acana grain free, and the vet is associating the food with her DCM. I had the hardest time figuring out what to switch to, but I grabbed a bag of Farmina N&D Ancestral Grain to start.

Our next steps are to meet with an oncologist at WSU to figure out if the tumor can be removed. We are completely overwhelmed with her diagnoses and are crushed. We are hoping that the tumor can be removed and her DCM and collapsed trachea can be managed with medication.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues? Any suggestions on good foods that will have the taurine levels she needs? I just feel so upset and want to do what is best for both Khloe and Couver.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!