View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
nanajoy
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD345 View Post
Thank you, Ron. So sorry for your loss as well.
Today is one year since Gracie flew away with the angels. I'm feeling like I was too hasty to have the doc put her down. By the time we got to the vet that day she had finally eaten something and was actually perking up. It's too late now but this thought haunts me on this day.
Thank you again for your support.
I am so sorry that you are experiencing these doubts...I think that each of us who has had to make the decision to release our beloved companions from their fear and pain will question the timing. When our little Elmo's kidneys failed, we tried to prolong his time with us. He hated the prescription diet, and I would have to sit on the floor with him and have to coax him to eat a lick at a time. He balked every feeding, and was very upset when his "brothers" were fed their regular food. Even though he was in a different room at the time, he knew they were being fed and he whined at every feeding.

He endured his saline treatments like a trooper, but it was heartbreaking to see how confused and listless he was and know that he was enduring it only to make us happy. He no longer played, and we could seeing him fail each day. After consulting our vet, we made the decision to give him a few last meals of his favorite food with his packmates, and try to bring him some final moments of happiness. He only lingered with us for a few days, but he cuddled, and wagged his tail. He slept on our bed with his brothers, and shared his final hours surrounded by those who loved him. He had a small seizure, and we took him in to the dr. one final time to help ease him on his way to the rainbow bridge. Although we could have kept him with us, it would have been more about us than him. We did question our decision to let him go, but as time went on, we are secure that we did the best for him. I sincerely hope that you are able to know that you let your beloved Gracie go because you loved her enough to say goodbye and free her from her fear and suffering.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!