View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Thank you all for the prayers most of the results is great news.

The Cushing's is now being controlled by medicine for the first time in over a year. The SDMA is high but nothing else on the blood work shows kidney disease so it is stable at the moment.

The other issue is Thumper's drinking. His urinalysis came back that the urine is like water. This is the same as last year and we did a culture and a test for diabetes. Both came back negative. The vet doesn't feel we need to repeat all the tests again but is leaving the decision up to me.

I agree with him that my feeling everything will come back negative again. I know Thumper can concentrate his pee because when he had his ultrasound and had to go without water for 12 hours he went outside to pee and it was yellow.

The vet thinks its a psychological issue and there are no meds or cure for it. His suggestion is that I measure out the water for all three dogs each day and that is all that is given. 4-6 cups a day for all three. Since Thumper drinks the majority he should have no more than 4 cups a day. (There is no separating the water bowls for only Thumper.)

He also said to remove the water at night and when he pees in the morning see if it is yellow.

I trust my vet and will try his suggestions. Overall I am happy for Thumper we don't go back for any more testing for 6 months unless I feel the water issue becomes more of a problem.
I know you say you trust your vet but you absolutely do not restrict water in a dog with Cushings. First off it is one of the biggest symptoms to have which is increased thirst second you can really damage their bodies by not allowing them that water including damage to the kidneys. Also in general how would you like to only be allowed a certain amount of water a day? You as a human could budget it at least but dogs can’t. I have done massive research, reading and talking to my vet about Cushings and she has a dog with Cushings. You can not just take away there water. This is very disturbing and concerning that vet would recommend that. I really hope you don’t do it.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!